Going upside down may freak you out. But inversions are healthy! An Inversion is any pose where the head is below the heart. While you may immediately think of handstand, headstand, forearm balance etc , there are many other gentler variations and poses you can take. Downward Dog, Forward Fold, Legs up the wall and many more – these are inversions! Being upside down carries many health benefits. But first, do not do inversions if you have any injuries, high blood pressure etc. Please consult your Doctor first.
Here are 10 reasons why you should get upside down every day:
1. Increase Energy – ever feeling a little slump? Get Upside Down. Blood flows to the brain making you more alert!
2. Build Confidence – Try something new! Challenge yourself! Nothing is more rewarding then accomplishing something you thought you never could.
3. Body Awareness – Going upside down builds body awareness. You are aware of the mechanics and what every muscle feels like. We allow our sight to guide us as we develop a deeper awareness.
4. Strength – Finding Stability in oneself. Your arms become stronger, your more aware of your core, every muscle is working. Inversions allow you to find a different idea of strength, of balance and endurance – which are all essential in not only your practice, but your life.
5. Breath Control – Stress makes our breathing go very fast. When we are upside down, we need to control the breath. Every inhale and exhale is important – and inversions help you to come back to the breath!
6. Inversions are fun! – yes they are. Get over your fear. Bring out your inner child and play. Be light hearted and enjoy wherever your practice takes you.
7. Prevent Illness and Strengthen Immune System – going upside down releases toxins and build up of bacteria. You are moving everything in a different direction which helps for better circulation.
8. Reducing Anxiety – Hello, endorphins! Inversions may help stimulate the CSF Fluid that is the lifeblood of the central nervous system. Inversions can have a calming affect on the brain!
9. Relaxation – While some inversion poses help to energize, others work to calm the nervous system. Try shoulder stand or legs up the wall for a restorative feeling of balance.
10. Change Your Perspective – this is so empowering. Mix things up, once you see the world from a different angle, you are more open to see other situations, people and problems the very same way. There is always a new way of looking at things!
Now go get upside down!